The Eastern Regional Police Command has begun investigations into the death of four people at Kwabeng in the Atiwa district of the Eastern region.
The bodies of the four were retrieved from a mining pit by a search team yesterday.
The remains of the four have since been deposited at the Police Hospital morgue for autopsy, while investigations continue, a preliminary report on the incident said.
Residents allege that the four were brutalized to death by the operation Vanguard taskforce.
A resident at Kwabeng popularly known as Supa tells Kasapa News, the four were hired to a mining site at Kukuso, a community near Kwabeng to tow away some mining equipments on Saturday around 7pm, however they did not return raising suspicion among family and friends.
According to him, a search found the bodies of the deceased in a very shallow river and detected bruises, cuts, and mark of assaults on their bodies indicating they have been beaten to death by the Military personnel operating in the area under Operation Vanguard taskforce.
But the Operation Vanguard task force has rejected claims suggesting its men were responsible for the death the four persons.
“I don’t know where the story is coming from,” the Commanding Officer of Operation Vanguard, Colonel William Agyapong said.
“Only last week there was another story that Operation Vanguard had killed somebody at Juaboso district. If it’s propaganda it will fail because the good people of Ghana will see through it. I have crosschecked with the patrol team that went to Akukuso yesterday and they had no activity in the town, it is falsehood, it has nothing to do with our operation,” he insisted.