The rat as a creative being is nocturnal in nature, if it moves during the daytime it is either a sign of bad omen or an infringement on its natural rights of stay. In this case I prefer the latter scenario.
I woke up this morning very sad, dejected, desponded only to read one of the most untruthful, misleading and fallacious piece ever from a colleague Former JCR President whose identity as a Former Student of Commonwealth and for that matter University of Ghana can best be answered by the Academic Affairs, meaning as to whether He can hold a Certificate of Reference as mine which indicates a graduate of a Second Class Status.
Sir William Ofori-Atta stated in 1948 that it is characterless for any society to abandon the very core tradition that has been the anchor of its survival. Such a society is on a suicide mission.
Respectfully for the benefit of the general public without deeper understanding of the antecedence of Commonwealth Hall and how Vandalism which is its lifeblood came into being permit me to share this in a paragraph.
The Christening of Commonwealth Hall dates back to 1957 when the Queen of England after having seen the successful struggle efforts of our Emancipators led by Dr Kwame Nkrumah accepted unconditionally to grant a full fledge independence status to Ghana. At the same time Commonwealth was established and there was a contemplation on which name to go by. Considering the strategic relevance of THE COMMONWEALTH OF NATIONS, the pioneers of the day agreed to christen the Hall as such. This shows the historical relevance of the Hall in the forward march of Ghana’s independence and alliance with the rest of all the Commonwealth Member States.
The Motto of the Hall speaks for itself ‘’TRUTH STANDS’’. The Hall stands for nothing other than projecting the truth and nothing but the TRUTH. The Hall since 1957 has been sustained by an enviable tradition and a positive religion of conviviality. The Tradition that places all intellectuals in state of sound social existence, freewill giving, comradeship and above all care for one, care for all. The Tradition is the ‘’Vandalism’’ yes you heard me VANDALISM
VANDALISM as a tradition seeks to project the truth and by extension social cohesion, and mutual respect. Vandalism seeks to project 5 pillars of hope;
B- N- Neighbourliness
D – Dedication/Dynamism A- Affability
L – Loyalty
If any well intentioned Ghanaian seeks to twist these facts and rather places His or Her own interpretation to one of the most enviable tradition ever then such a Character needs another 4 years of Degree Course in Vandalism 101.
As a Former JCR President who sacrificed His academic success to see to it Commonwealth Hall was not reconstituted into a Mixed Graduate Hall in 2010, I am in a privilege position to better educate and inform the public what actually is the basis of the hatred and misconception towards Vandals and by extension VANDALISM;
1. Vandalism as a tradition is sustained by a Traditional Outfit headed by a Traditional Ruler who is very smart and academically well positioned
2. Vandalism as a Tradition keeps the University on it toes and it is the charismatic instrument through which obnoxious Government Policies and Unthinkable University Policies are fought and dismantled
3. Vandalism is a Tradition through which true leadership is thought. People are mentored in Commonwealth Hall to be extremely tolerant, respectful and above all intellectually honest
4. Vandalism is the instrument through proper sex education is promoted since for lack of knowledge the people perish. This is done through our enviable CVC songs.
5. Vandalism is not a stop gap for extremism and machoism rather we marshal our energies to fight the ills of society talk of poverty, corruption, discrimination, political extremism, exploitation etc.
As a Former JCR President of the Great Commonwealth Hall I wish to state on authority that;
1. Commonwealth Hall does not and will not uphold Occultism if there was and there is then it is in the creative thought and imagination of Benjamin Akyena Brentuo
2. Commonwealth Hall does not hatch any grand agenda on who holds key position in the University. Ascension to any key position on the campus of University of Ghana from a Faculty, to a Hall to the Last Position is by merit and clear succession plans are laid out
3. Commonwealth Hall detests leaders who trade position for their personal aggrandizements that is why Benjamin Akyena Brentuo was nearly impeached by a larger section of the student body of Commonwealth Hall in 2006/7. In fact his records are there for all to dig and uproot. You don’t need a bulldozer but rather you only need a google search engine and you will find out
4. Commonwealth Hall is a reflection of the Outside World.Whilst a sitting President is guided by National House of Chiefs, The JCR President of Commonwealth Hall is equally guided by Supreme Council of Vandals and Guys (SCVG) which is of equal status as Council of State but equally important is the Office of His Royal Majesty, the Chief Vandal who is the symbol of Unity and Charisma within the Vandals fraternity. If this is what we call Occultism then am afraid all Ghanaians all Occults.
Whilst I stand with the public on the unfortunate incidence leading to the loss of a life which is the most priceless gift of nature, we must not hasten to assume infamousness as if we have been contracted by an embattled businessmen who might have duped the state and needs parrots to speak for them.
Every society is an embodiment of Lookers, Looters and Lifters. The lookers stand aloof and look on whilst evil is perpetrated, the Looters become the beneficiaries when others through their blood have left a legacy but the Lifters are the People who stand right and occasion the needed change for a positive course.
If Benjamin Akyena Brentuo after all that Vandals (Both Dead and Alive) have done for him cannot maintain the status He must not destroy it either.
I rest my case for the next adjournment!!! Court Rise!!!
Longlive Commonwealth Hall
Longlive The Truth and Nothing but the TRUTH
Bernard Oduro Takyi
Former JCR President, 2008/9
Founder & CEO
Omanbapa Ghana Ltd
CEEP Educational Consult
Regional Coordinator, Commonwealth Alliance of Young Entrepreneurs-West Africa
2016 Mandela Washington Fellow, Fellow of the White House, USA www.omanabapaghanaltd.com