Eminent jurist, Justice Vincent Cyril Richard Arthur Charles (V.C.R.A.C) Crabbe, died on Friday, September 7, 2018, at age 95.
He passed on after a short illness.
President Akufo-Addo led the government’s tribute, describing the constitutional law expert as an outstanding servant of the Ghanaian people.
Here are some things about his life that were not in the limelight:
1. Justice V.C.R.A.C Crabbe was the first Chairperson of Ghana’s Electoral Commission.
2. He worked with the Constitutional Review Commission of Kenya, and was Leader of the group of Draftspersons who drafted the Kenya Constitution.
3. He was part of the team that drafted Zambia’s Constitution.
4. Crabbe played a key role in the setting up of the Constitutional Court in South Africa.
5. He was the leader of the 1979 Constituent Assembly that part in drafted the 1979 Constitution of Ghana.
6. He worked with the Fiajoe Review Commission for the review of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana
7. Constitutional Adviser to the Uganda Government.
8. Until his death, he was the co-chair of the Coalition of Domestic Election Observers (CODEO).
By: Joseph Nii Ankrah